Search This Blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

God on This Day

I am waiting,

Waiting for the summer, waiting to see which flowers will come up,
just like you,

Waiting to see how long it will be that some people are not free,

Waiting for you.

But I am not only waiting.

While I do not puff my cheeks to make the wind blow, I am thrilled by
the way my winds blow all over this world.

When the ice cream truck comes down the street ringing its bell, my
pulse quickens just thinking about a Creamsicle.

When taking the next step suddenly looks possible to you, I am the
one who has made the change that tips the "better wait" into the
"time to go."

I am listening.

Listening for the song of the fields, the song of the sea.

Listening for the sound of the car in the driveway coming home.

Listening to every word that is said and every tune that is played.

Listening for your footsteps coming to me.

But I am not only listening.

When the one who plays guitar in the subway finishes the song, I drop
a few bills and say, "Great song! Thanks!"

When the word is read by each of you, I am filled with hope and
determination. I am renewed just like you are.

When you have sought me in the busy world, in the silent places, in
your joy, and in your despair, as I have spoken before so am I still
speaking.

You are mine.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born
I consecrated you.

I am with you always, to the end of the age.

I will dwell with you as your God; you will be my people, and I
myself will be with you; I will wipe every tear from your eyes.

I am yours.

You say, "... as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

You pray, "Father, who art in heaven..."

You sing, "We your people, ours the journey, now and ever! now and
ever! now and evermore!"

You dwell in my house for all your days.

June 1, 2004