Search This Blog

Friday, December 08, 2006

Love Song from a Higher Power


Love Song from a Higher Power

To the tune Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen
(Made more recently famous by Rufus Wainright as heard in “Shrek” or John Cale as heard on “Scrubs” or Jeff Buckley on “The OC”)
 

When something’s right and something’s wrong
It sometimes takes a quiet song
To bring you to the center where I knew you.
I thought you followed in the dance
I thought you knew another chance
Was how I said you’ll find your hallelujah.
 
Refrain
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah.
 
You found the place where demons dwell
You saw the day the eagles fell
There were so many ways that they could fool you
You cried “There is nowhere to go!”
You thought I was from long ago
A nothing, just a feeble hallelujah.
 
Refrain
 
Done with people, done with care.
The only train that got you there
The one thing you could count on overthrew you.
People call it down and out
That just makes you want to shout
“Spare me all your god damned hallelujahs!”
 
Refrain
 
Like Bill and Bob who came before
You found this place, you walked this floor
Just to find out what good it would do you.
Maybe in another’s eyes
You might find an end to lies,
You might find just a whispered hallelujah.
 
Refrain
 
Here are those who’ve done the worst
Here are those who always thirst
Here are those who try to tell it to you.
Come because you know you must
Come to try, to learn, to trust.
Come and hear the broken hallelujah.
 
Refrain
 
The road is hard but we have found
A way to get on firmer ground
Just take a step and then just let it rule you.
It won’t be easy, so you’ll ask.
It is your road but for each task
The next guy has a helpful hallelujah
 
Refrain
 
If you can find another’s soul
And trust enough to make the goal
The oneday that is just one day to prove you,
Then you have found me!  I’ll be there
And you can find me everywhere
I’ll hold you with my grace-filled hallelujah.
 
Refrain
 
Every honest tale you hear
Is a prayer that brings me near
Like a gentle breeze that comes to cool you.
Take the risk! O take the grace!
Show us all your humble face
Come and claim your oneday hallelujah
 
Refrain